Saturday, May 4, 2019

April 2019 Climate Data for Memphis, TN

April Climate Recap

Overall, the month ended very near average for April, despite both warm and cool spells. With a temperature range of nearly 50 degrees from the coldest temperature (35 degrees on the first day of the month) to the warmest (84 degrees on the 10th), the month featured large swings not atypical of a spring month. Generally the first third of the month was above average (after the first couple of days), while the middle third was cooler than normal, followed by warming again for the latter part of the month.

The large temperature swings meant that there were multiple fronts crossing the area, which resulted in a wet month. In fact, the latter third of the month was fairly dry with only one day with measurable precipitation after the 19th. However, over 7" of rain fell between the 4th and 19th, including three days with more than an inch and nearly 2.5" on the 13th.

U.S. temperature departure from normal for April 2019. (
Thunderstorms were frequent as well, however the only Severe Thunderstorm Warnings issued in the metro were on the 6th. A Tornado Warning was also issued for DeSoto County that evening. Minor wind damage resulted from those storms.

Memphis International Airport, Memphis, TN

Average temperature: 62.7 degrees (0.2 degrees below average)
Average high temperature: 72.5 degrees (0.5 degrees below average)
Average low temperature: 52.9 degrees (0.0 degrees below average)
Warmest temperature: 84 degrees (10th)
Coolest temperature: 35 degrees (1st)
Heating Degrees Days: 113 (24 below average)
Cooling Degree Days: 53 (22 below average)
Records set or tied: None
Comments: None

Monthly total: 7.89" (2.39" above average)
Days with measurable precipitation: 11 (1.4 days above average)
Wettest 24-hour period: 2.43" (13th)
Snowfall: None
Records set or tied: None
Comments: Five days recorded more than 0.5" of rain and three days recorded over 1".

Peak wind: South/44 mph (11th)
Average wind: 8.6 mph
Average relative humidity: 69%
Average sky cover: 60%

Click here for a daily statistical recap for Memphis International Airport.

Cirrus Weather Solutions /, Bartlett, TN

Average temperature: 62.9 degrees
Average high temperature: 73.9 degrees
Average low temperature: 50.8 degrees
Warmest temperature: 86.5 degrees (10th)
Coolest temperature: 31.8 degrees (1st)
Comments: None

Monthly total: 7.89" (automated rain gauge), 7.87" (manual CoCoRaHS rain gauge)
Days with measurable precipitation: 11
Wettest date: 3.33" (13th) (via automated gauge)
Snowfall: None
Comments: None

Peak wind: Southwest/29 mph (11th)
Average relative humidity: 73%
Average barometric pressure: 29.97 in. Hg

Click here for a daily statistical recap for Bartlett, TN.

MWN Forecast Accuracy

MWN average temperature error: 2.32 degrees
MWN forecast temperatures within 2 degrees of actual: 63%
MWN average dewpoint error: 2.40 degrees
MWN forecast dewpoints within 2 degrees of actual: 58%

MWN's forecasts extend out five periods (2.5 days, or roughly 60 hours). Historical accuracy statistics can be found here.

Climate Outlook - May

The May climate outlook for the United State from the Climate Prediction Center is shown below. The eastern and western U.S. appear to remain in a pattern favoring above normal temperatures, while the central U.S. should be cooler than normal, continuing the relative trend from April. As a result, odds favor warmer than average temperatures for Memphis, with a 42% chance of above normal temperatures, a 33% chance of near normal temperatures, and a 25% chance of below normal temperatures. Memphis typically averages 71.7 degrees for the month of May, or about 9 degrees warmer than April.

A wet May is forecast for much of the U.S., with the most pronounced wet anomaly from the Mid-Mississippi Valley into the Southern Plains. Below average precipitation is expected in the Pacific Northwest. For Memphis, odds favor a wet month with a 50% chance of above normal precipitation, a 33% chance of near normal precipitation and only a 17% chance of below average precipitation. May historically averages 5.25" of precipitation, just a bit less than April.

Follow MWN on Facebook and Twitter for routine updates and the latest info!
Complete MWN Forecast: on the mobile web or via the MWN mobile app
Download our iPhone or Android apps, featuring StormWatch+ severe weather alerts!
MWN is a NOAA Weather Ready Nation Ambassador Meteorologist Erik Proseus is an NWA Digital Seal Holder

No comments: